1/2 cup/120g Raw Cashews
1/2 cup/120ml Filtered Cold Water
1/2 cup/120ml Cold Non Dairy Milk
3 tbs Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp Mustard
1 tsp White Miso
Pinch Sea Salt & White Pepper
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
Caramelised Red Onions
2 tbs Rapeseed oil or water
3 Red Onions, peeled, halved & sliced fine
4 tbs Coconut Sugar or Brown Sugar
3 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
Pinch Sea Salt & Pepper
2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme, chopped
4 La Boulangère Vegan Plain Brioche Rolls toasted (or La Boulangère Vegan
Croissants halved and toasted)
Drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar for the garnish
Steamed Samphire (optional) for the garnish
- Pre heat your grill & line a baking tray.
- First, soak the cashew nuts in boiling water for around 15 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile make your caramelised onions. In a heavy based saucepan over a medium add a touch of oil or water. Followed by the onions.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes stirring often until they start to soften & colour. Add the sugar, vinegar, seasoning & thyme. Stir well and turn the heat down very low. Cover the saucepan & allow the onions to caramelise for 15 minutes, stir/shake the pan every now & then.
- Once the nuts have softened, drain and add them to a high-speed blender with all the other ingredients. Blend on full speed until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a nonstick saucepan, and using a spatula start stirring over a medium heat. Be patient – you will be stirring for around 8 minutes. Stir until it is thick but still pourable.
- Arrange your toasted slices of La Boulangère vegan brioche rolls (or La Boulangère vegan croissants) on a lined baking tray, and generously pour over the cheese mix. Then place them under the grill for 3-4 minutes or until nicely caramelised.
- Serve straight away with plenty of caramelised red onions, a drizzle of balsamic & samphire (if desired).